Friday, February 18, 2011

When Bad Things Happen to Good People

I found out this week that a good friend of mine has just learned he has cancer.  This man is a real jewel.  His life is his family, his neighbors and helping others.  He loves to garden and it shows with one look at his yard;  Plants, trees, grass and flowers all planted with love and cared for from the heart.  He's always there to lend a helping hand to anyone.  He planted my favorite flowers for me and when I look at them, I see him.

I can't help asking, "Why?"  Why this man and not someone else who's life is spent in self-seeking and never giving a thought to his fellow man, to his neighbor? 

This isn't my first "Why?" and I suppose it won't be my last.  I also find myself asking "Why?" when good things happen to bad people, things that aren't, on the surface, deserved.  I don't know the answers.

But, I know the One Who knows the answers.

He says, "My grace is sufficient".

He also says, to paraphrase, "My ways aren't your ways."

I have to accept that.

And I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment