Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Perfect?

Sometimes I think we expect too much from our heroes and, yes, from ourselves as well.  We want perfection in this society ... from our sports stars, from our movie stars and from our politicians, to name a few.

No one is perfect.  We should strive for it, but we'll never reach it.  We can expect it in others but, if we do, we should be prepared to be disappointed.  It's the striving that's important but the failures are the teachers. When our heroes become less than perfect, let us remember they are human, like us, and probably doing the best they can.

I confess that I'm a perfectionist.  I don't expect perfection like I did when I was younger.  I probably wouldn't know it if I saw it.  How close do we have to look to find this illusive thing?  When did we tell ourselves that we need to be perfect.  When did we decide that we are the judges of perfection, in ourselves or in anyone else?

We all have strengths and weaknesses.  We have warts and blemishes and scars.  We do the best we can, most of us, with what we have - with what we've been given.  Let's look for the good, strive for the best, fall and get up again.

After all, we're all on this journey called life together.  Sometimes we need a hand up.  Sometimes we need to give one.

As Christians we aren't perfect, just forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment