Sunday, February 27, 2011

Recycled?

Recycling has become the thing to do these days.  A very good thing, too.  I have to admit that I don't do as much as I should, but I do use my cloth totes at the grocery store, or most anywhere I purchase things.  I like using them instead of the plastic bags.  I should recycle my aluminum cans and other plastic containers.  That's my next project for the environment.  I also need to recycle my newspapers, catalogs and magazines.  I do believe that just one person, doing the right thing, can make a difference.

I've noticed lately how so many things, in our society, have become recyclable.  Relationships, marriages, images, friendships and even jobs.  Is it any wonder we find ourselves relying so much on digital gadgets.  We can't sustain a relationship unless we can contact a loved one or a friend 24/7 on our cell phone, blackberry or computer.  We forget about the important people in our lives and simply replace them, if problems arise, on Facebook or Myspace or Twitter.  Email has replaced letters, phone calls and/or personal, face-to-face visits.  We used to miss seeing someone's familiar face.  Now, we don't care about their face.  As long as we get digital access to them, their face is irrelevant, unless, of course, you have a webcam! 

Yes, I'm guilty of this too.  I do find myself missing those personal touches though.  I've never liked talking on the phone, but I do that email thing pretty frequently and I do take the easy way out far too often.

I don't like what we're becoming.  A society of "throw-away" people.  Families of disposable partners and friends.  If we allow someone into our lives and problems arise, we simply move on, find someone else and forget to learn how to relate to one another.

This probem is far to big and far too important to address in one daily blog.  I feel the discussion rising in my soul and am compelled to bring it up more often.  If just to bring it home to myself.

This calls for a post-it note on my PC screen.  Yes, a lovely hot pink one should do.  If I don't see that one enough, or if it simply becomes invisible to me, I'll just replace it with another color.

Hmmmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment