Sunday, March 27, 2011

Having Fun!!

I think we grown-ups forget sometimes how important it is to have fun.  We get bogged down with our jobs, our responsibilities, our image, or our 'whatevers'.  Paying that mortgage, saving for the kid's college educations, and taking care of everyone else but ourselves takes precedence.  This is true, I think, for all of us.

When we do get a spare moment during our busy days, we can quickly find something to fill the gap.  Whether it's a new hobby, volunteering or sitting in front of the TV, we manage to fill every minute with "meaningful activity".

I find myself with projects piling up and wondering when the time will come to get them done.  Some of these projects are, yes, you guessed it, for having fun.  Like painting, taking pictures, or just taking a few moments to do nothing and listen to the world around me, WITH THE TV OFF.

One of my biggest time consumers, aside from keeping a house, running errands, taking care of hubby and yardy is, you guessed it, the COMPUTER!  I have to admit it, I love this thing!  I love what it can do for me and I love what I can do with it.  Without it, most of my communication with the outside world would fall to the wayside.  That's probably very sad!

Ok, I'm getting depressed now.  And NOT having fun!  You see what I mean? 

Back on subject.

We sit in front of the TV having vicarious fun.  It escapes me right now how MSNBC, 24 hours a day, qualifies as fun, but, you know what I mean.

Last evening, we played cards all evening with family.  Now that was fun!  We talked, we ate, we played.  Afterwards, I was worn out, but it was the best "worn out" I've had in a long time.  You see, my life is that unfun!

I guess the point of this is lost somewhere in the writing of it, but I think you get the point.  My life needs more fun.

I think yours just might need that too.

2 comments:

  1. Mom, I had a lot of fun Saturday night, too! Can't wait for the next one!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun for me is playing games on my computer and writing my blog, and of course reading my comments and e-mail. It is wonderful to play family games too. We do that when our children visit. Enjoyed your post - yes we often get too busy to have fun, but it is good to stop and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete