Friday, March 4, 2011

A Nurturing Attitude?

I'm beginning to see how difficult it can be to write a daily blog.  As I go throughout my day I try to pay closer attention to all that I see and do.  To find the deeper meaning in my actions and the actions of those around me.  I'm seeing that this is a tall order for myself.

It seems, far too often, that I go through my days doing what comes next, without much thought given to what that may be.  Today it was adding more gourds to my Purple Martin rack and modifying an existing Purple Martin house that I erected last Spring.  Then there were groceries to buy, things to pick up at the hardware store, like a 4 x 4 and a Bluebird House.  I've noticed quite a few Blue Birds in my yard lately and wanted to see more, give them a home and watch them raise families.  They are such beautiful birds!

I digress.

There was a little time for computer work and now, time for my blog.  I suppose most of this day was about nurturing, and providing sustenance, for God's creatures.  The birds in my yard, the critters in my house (one dog and four cats) and, of course, me and my husband.

As I think about it, nurturing is a good thing.  It requires thought, planning and action.  Those being nurtured don't care too much about the "theory" of nurturing or about who took care that they were, indeed, nurtured.

Why did I do these things?  For myself? For those who needed these things done?  The answer is "yes" to these last two questions.

The next thing is my "attitude" while doing them.  Did I do them prayerfully or thoughtfully and did I give of "myself" while doing them?

This is what I reflect on at the end of the day. Yes, I did give of myself.  Sometimes, I'm sorry to say, I gave with resentment, because I wanted to be doing "other things".

I don't like this about myself.  I don't like being selfish, although there are times when one needs to be selfish.

I've learned, however, that the feeling at the end of the day, when I have done things with an attitude of helpfulness and a heart of love, is a feeling like no other. I pray that I will remember this tomorrow, BEFORE I start my day.

My prayer will be that the Creator and Giver of all things will grant me an attitude of love while living each moment and a prayerful mindfulness while doing the ordinary tasks that fill my day.

1 comment:

  1. You remind me of how we always have to remind Dillon to do all things with a happy heart!

    ReplyDelete